Saturday, August 20, 2011

A car at last!


For 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks and several days...I lived in South Africa without a car. Now, in Chicago that would have been no big deal. I lived on the north side, walking distance away from the EL and just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Metra. But South Africa...well that's a different story altogether. You see, we (the other missionaries and myself) live 2 kilometers outside of a tiny town on a mango farm. Our school and homes are set on a sloping property, densely forested with monkeys running around. We have 18 children on the property and sometimes more on weekends. For all that time we lasted with only one vehicle. For nearly two years, we crammed into one vehicle to go places, had to borrow other cars and generally didn't go many places. I never was able to leave the premise over night and if Sarah was gone with her car, I would be stuck on the farm for days.

Then I got kids. That made needing a car even MORE necessary. Grocery shopping, church, doctors visits...NOT possible with only one car. Unfortunately, taking n the kids stretched my very meager budget to the limit, leaving me with nothing extra to save for our future car. Oftentimes I wasn't sure where are food money would come from. Want to face anxiety? Try grocery shopping for 3 ravenous boys when you have no money! Anywho...after months and months of praying, a very, very generous man gave us the money to buy our car. I went immediately to every dealership I could find and we found the perfect little economical vehicle. Our car is a Honda Jazz (not found in America) and the kids name it Jazmin...hilarious!

Nowadays we're rolling around town doing all the errands we need! Our extra car has helped not just myself, but also the other missionaries who need to use the car for day to day errands as it's much better on gas. Hooray for our donor and Hooray for God answering our prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment